Monday 20 February 2017

Oscar Nominated Animated Shorts (2017)

Of the five animated short films nominated for an Oscar in 2017, 2 are from Pixar, an animation studio which continues to push the envelope creatively and narratively despite enjoying tremendous commercial success. The most well known (because it was shown in cinemas with one of the biggest films of the year (Finding Dory) is Piper, an incredibly innovative (at least technologically) short film about a small bird. It's lovely, gorgeous, and probably the most photo-realistic animated film I've ever seen. Don't get me wrong, I don't see photo-realism as the goal of animation. In fact I think there is a reason I love animation and it's because it differs from live action. However one can't deny how amazing Piper is to watch, and it's story, while light, is moving.

Borrowed Time, is sort of the opposite experience to Piper. Visually it appears like all other Pixar films and, despite having a "darker tone" appears as if it could have come out of any Pixar catalog. But it's story is where the film diverts from the expected. The film is violent, disturbing, and poignant. It doesn't have the feel of a typical film from this studio. It didn't get the sort of release that Piper got due to how upsetting it is. Together these films remind me why (despite my lack of enthusiasm for Finding Dory) why I say a fan of this studio's work.

One of the front runners is Pearl, a stylized portrait of the love between a father and daughter. At first it felt like a music video or inspiring commercial but the film finds some strength in how it touches its audience. It attempts a rags to riches American Dream style story which is lovely fantasy but I felt it's optimism was a bit misplaced and rang a bit hollow.

Even less successful for me was lengthy (ironic for a short) Pear Cider and Cigarettes which is reminiscent of the animation in Kill Bill both in tone and style. The film's dark story just doesn't hold up for it's 35 minute run time. It's striking to watch and the story, if it had been more contained, could have packed a punch. But its a bit too indulgent for my tastes.

Probably my favorite is the Canadian (Cigarettes is Canadian too by the way) Blind Vaysha which tells a complex emotional morality play and is the most "drawn" feeling. This film is haunting and lovely and I believe packs the most emotional punch of any of the nominated films. Perhaps it's my national bias but the NFB has always had a strong tack record and once again they don't disappoint.

Blind Vaysha
Theodore Ushev

Borrowed Time
Andrew Coats & Lou Hamou-Lhadj

Pear Cider and Cigarettes
Robert Valley

Pearl
Patrick Osborne

Piper
Alan Barillaro

No comments:

Post a Comment