Friday 23 June 2017

Transformers: The Last Knight (2017)

Sigh.

It's not like these Transformers movies are getting better. They remain inanely written, ridiculously filmed, laced with racist undercurrents, and far too long to suffer through. If anything it is like they just double down on it making each one even worse than the last. Critiquing this film would just be a summary of the critiques from all the rest. At some point I just had to come to the realization that this franchise just isn't for me.

I am the kind of film fanatic that likes to think I can enjoy any kind of movie, that I can find that spark in anything. But Michael Bay seems dead set on proving me wrong. I can't swallow all of this. It's just too much of a bad thing.

I've got to hand it to Michael Bay and his fellow film makers on these projects. They stick to their overly unrealistic guns and deliver the same thing again and again and again. And clearly there is an audience for it. Lately that audience appears to be mostly outside North America, but it's still there. It's just not me.

There was a time early in this century when all the big film franchises were ones that I didn't care for. I remained a film fan, sought out the smaller amazing little films and waited for the tide of popular opinion to shift back to something I could be excited about. That time has come as many of the biggest movies are movies I love again. But some remnants of that time remain. The Transformers franchise is one of those remnants.

So I'll suffice it to say that this film and its ilk are not my cup of tea. And increasingly, in an age where the biggest lines at the multiplex most often are for films with a great deal more artistry, more integrity, and more meaningfulness, it is not the cup of tea of most audiences either... at least on this side of the ocean.

Transformers: The Last Knight
Starring: Marc Wahlberg, Josh Duhamel, Stanley Tucci, Anthony Hopkins
Director: Michael Bay
Writers: Art Marcum, Matt Holloway, Ken Nolan

No comments:

Post a Comment