Saturday 2 December 2017

The Star (2017)

Okay, okay.  know it is unlikely this film would be any good but let me make my case for why I saw it in the first place. Yes I would normally have skipped it but I needed some film to take my child to and we had already seen Coco (which admittedly would have been better to see a second time than this film) and, wait for it, I had some expectations due to the director.

Timothy Reckart is a promising animation director. His short Head Over Heals is wonderful, and he contributed to Anomilasia, a film I had some problems with but generally showed a great deal of promise. I figured if he was taking this on, perhaps there would be more to this than cliched sunday school philosophy and dumb animal jokes.

Aaaaand I was wrong. The Star is as cliched and corny as it appears. The animation is deeply second rate and the script is horridly clunky and downright ridiculous. Even ignoring the flawed theology behind this sort of commercialized dime store religion, the story and dialogue doesn't work. There were barely any laughs at the pathetic jokes and hardly any excitement worked up by it's hackneyed climax. Even the inevitable final moments, supposedly inspiring, fell flat offering little to no rapture.

Once more in my defense the film does feature a fascinating voice cast from Steven Yeun and Keegan-Michael Key to Christopher Plummer and Ving Rhames. With Kristin Chenowith, Tracey Morgan, Aidy Bryant, and Anthony Anderson, they woudln't make this if the script was this bad, would they? Then again Joel Osteen is in it. I guess that should have tipped me off.

The Star is second, no third, rate. There is far more spirituality in Coco and certainly a better message. This is one fallen star.

The Star
Starring: Steven Yeun, Gina Rodriguez, Zachary Levi, Keegan-Michael Key, Christopher Plummer, Ving Rhames, Tracey Morgan, Kristin Chenowith, Patricia Heaton, Tyler Perry, Oprah Winfrey, Aidy Bryant, Gabriel Iglesias, Anthony Anderson, Chris Kristopherson, Mariah Carey, Kelly Clarkson
Director: Timothy Reckart
Writer: Carlos Kotkin

No comments:

Post a Comment