Saturday 11 August 2018

Dog Days (2018)

Half way through Dog Days I realized how much I was enjoying the film, a film which was admittedly formulaic and emotionally manipulative. Sitting there with misty eyes and a big grin on my face I started to ask myself, how could I be enjoying this film so much?

What it came down to for me is the way the film nailed it's absolutely charming degree of humour. Dog Days is consistently funny, and in a surprisingly refreshing way. While the plot and characters feel canned, the humour felt clever, often smartly random, and original. The cast are mostly rather funny people, from Adam Paly, Lauren Lapkus, Jon Bass, Tomas Lennon, and Rob Corddry to those who can pull off humour well like Vanessa Hudgens, Finn Wolfhard and Eva Longoria. What it comes down to is a very funny movie, the kind of funny that has you smiling a lot. It's not gross. It's not dumb. It's not offensive. It's just funny.

I am not a dog person but you'd have to be heartless to not warm up to the mutts in this movie. This isn't the kind of eye rolling dog movie like Show Dogs or something horrible like that. No animals talk in this film. Instead they are just actual dogs doing actual dog things and being as cute and lovable as they can be.

I guess what I am saying is that while Dog Days is vanilla confectionery it doesn't talk down to you and is just honestly sweet and enjoyable.

Dog Days
Starring: Eva Longoria, Adam Paly, Vanessa Hudgens, Jon Bass, Rob Corddry, Ron Cephas Jones, Tomas Lennon, Lauren Lapkus, Nina Dobrev, Ryan Hanson, Tone Bell, Finn Wolfhard, Michael Cassidy, Tig Notaro
Director: Ken Marino
Writers: Elissa Matsueda, Erica Oyama

No comments:

Post a Comment