Friday 8 February 2019

High Flying Bird (2019)

The work of director Steven Soderbergh rarely does anything for me, and most of it leaves me rather cold. Despite how much he is loved by cinemaphiles, I can't name any of his films that I truly love. His Ocean movies are horribly overrated, as is the boring as all hell Magic Mike. Erin Brokovitch and Traffic are 2000's one-two punch of mediocrity featuring great performances. His recent work, Logan Lucky and Unsane are both terribly bad. He keeps saying he's going to retire and yet he keeps making films.

But then he makes probably the most unexpected film of his career and, while I can't say I "loved" it, I was shocked at how much I truly enjoyed it.

First of all Moonlight writer Tarell Alvin McCraney has delivered an Aaron Sorkin style script which rushes us rapidly and runs us over filled with fascination. He fills the mouths of his cast with remarkable dialogue and lays out a compelling story which holds capitalist sports accountable. I've only see the film once but there is just so much here that is interesting. I imagine the film will work well on repeat viewings.

Then there is Andre Holland in a star making performance. He's spot on, creating his character in a rich way and giving us amazing scenes that are just a joy to watch. I've liked him for a while and here it felt like he truly came into his potential.

With Holland is another rising star Zazie Beatz who steals every scene she's in and gives one of those captivating performances that just oozes naturalness and ease. She makes it all just look easy and sweeps us off our feet.

Shot on an iphone, Soderbergh's latest is naturalistic yet lovely. He refrains from most of the gimmicking things he often does. Soderbergh shoots this story beautifully in a manner that grounds us squarely in the story. It's a beautiful thing to watch.

So I guess there is always time for a film maker that doesn't speak to me to make something I can appreciate.

High Flying Bird
Starring: Andre Holland, Zazie Beetz, Melvin Gregg, Sonia Sohn, Zachary Quinto, Kyle McLachlan, Bill Duke
Director: Steven Soderbergh
Writer: Tarell Alvin McCraney

No comments:

Post a Comment