Saturday 8 June 2019

Dark Phoenix

I will always look fondly at Fox’s X-men franchise. There are some of the strongest films of the genre as part of this series. I rematch the entire series, even some of the stinkers, and enjoy them each time. There is a world built here which is a vehicle for exploring certain themes which are important themes to me. No matter what comes in the future these 10 films will always be a part of my collection.

As far as we know Dark Phoenix is the end of the road for this journey. Knowing that I went into the film with a lot of mixed emotions and expectations which were likely unfair. I wanted in someway for this to be a wrap up, conclusion to the entire narrative. I wanted it to be a capped off farewell to the specific versions of these characters that I have loved for this long.

It is not those things.

In my opinion Dark Phoenix feels set up to be an “episode” entry into the series. The status quo is set up, the characters are developed, and we start into this story. Its a story of great personal and emotional importance to X-men fans, one that was already attempted to be told in X3 although generally felt not well. So taking on this story is brave knowing the audience has high expectations.

It also isn’t the definite Dark Phoenix telling. While head and shoulders better than X3 it may not live up to the hopes and dreams of fans.

But it does a lot well. Dark Phoenix the movie is the story of how men try to protect and control women and where the responsibility for that falls. This film keeps its moralizing under the surface but it doesnt leave it on the cutting room floor. It integrates its narrative well with its messages.

It also creates good set pieces. I felt the way the film comes together was exciting and propels us through the story. All of this is in the plus side for the film. But the film falls flat somewhat in its character development. Even Jean Grey who is the centre of the story feels only thinly flushed out. Storm has never been given the development she needs in this series and nothing changes here. But worst of all the long terms central figures to this journey like Xavier, Raven, Magneto, dont truly get to grow much beyond where they have been.

The story isn’t the strongest in the series. It is also not the weakest. It is a middle ground piece. If it hadn’t been the final chapter perhaps it would have felt more satisfying. I found it hard for me to divorce my meta experience of the series ending and my desire to enjoy this film for what it is. For me Dark Phoenix is decent for what it is but it isn’t more than that.

And it doesn’t have to be.

Goodbye X-men.

Dark Phoenix
Starring: Sophie Turner, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Nicolas Hoult, Ty Sheridan, Alexandra Ship, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Evan Peters, Jessica Chastain
Writer/Director: Simon Kinberg

No comments:

Post a Comment