Thursday 19 September 2019

Downton Abbey (2019)

As someone who has never seen an episode of Downtown Abbey (the series) I cannot comment on how the film works in the context of the series. Perhaps it will meet all the fans' hopes and dreams. I hope it does. I cannot contribute to that discussion. The only thing I can comment on is whether the film of Downton Abbey works for audiences who have never watched the show.
I will say that for fans of the show whether or not the film is entertaining for the rest of us doesn't really matter. The film could exist solely for the purposes of satisfying long time fans. But, wouldn't it also be a treat if the rest of us could pick it up and enjoy it as well?

There is a lot to take on here. There are endless characters and back story which have to be sort of introduced and glossed over so the film can start its story and suck us in. I felt writer Julian Fellowes and director Michael Engler did a pretty efficient job of setting up the world of Downton Abbey for the uninitiated. I got enough of a sense of who's who and why's why even while recognize that likely there is a great deal of richness behind each face and around each corner that would make it even more satisfying. But for what I needed to get into this singular tale, the film sets it up in a satisfactory manner. I did feel I was likely missing what could have made it truly magical but the only way to remedy that would be watch through the series first.

The film wastes little time getting right into its story. The film cleverly creates a moment in time to focus on through its plot device of the King and Queen coming to visit. It focuses the characters' intertwining histories on a single event which can be followed easily. It also creates a delicious disruption to the status quo which is gripping. Downton Abbey has a very classic upstairs/downstairs tension vibe and this plot perfectly exploits that. But I'm not sure as someone who is not dedicated to this Downton world already the entirety of the film works.

There are elements such as a brief royal assassination plot which falls pretty flat. It has a long set up and then just is dropped. Also I have to admit after all I had heard about the scenery chewing Maggie Smith does in this show I was disappointed the film doesn't exploit this to a very impressive degree, even in light of the way it sets up her rivalry with Imelda Staunton. The fireworks just were rather mild.

But other parts of the film are charming and touching. I found some of the plotting of the downstairs staff fun and entertaining if, it wasn't overly revolutionary. Also a plot exploring the danger posed to homosexuals in the era is played very well. But even in these moments the film lets me down a bit. It all gets resolved a bit too easily and without a lot of satisfactory solutions. Perhaps it has to do with just fitting too many stories into 2 hours. Or perhaps the film just isn't interested in wrestling with some of the difficulties raised in these stories.

The film looks at the injustices of the British class system in almost each story but never fully embraces attacking those injustices. The film (and likely its source material) is so enamored with the system it can't fully critique it. Characters never fully do what it takes to abolish the systems which we are to be frustrated with. So it pays a bit of lip service to our modern values but remains a celebration of a way of life that is based on a highly stratified culture. 

So perhaps Downton Abbey, the film at least, but I assume the series as well, just isn't quite what I'm looking for in entertainment. As I said, I am sure that for fans of the show this film is the bees knees, and I do think overall it works for an audience that hasn't followed the series. I'm just not sure it offers enough to that audience. I think most of what could make this film special is tied into the love its audience must have for these characters and these stories. Without that larger connection the film feels a bit... common.

Downton Abbey
Starring: Maggie Smith, Matthew Goode, Imelda Staunton, Elizabeth McGovern, Hugh Bonneville, Michelle Dockery, Laura Carmichael, Penelope Wilton, Allen Leech, Jim Carter, Robert James-Collier, Phyllis Logan, et al
Director: Michael Engler
Writer: Julian Fellowes

No comments:

Post a Comment