Sunday 16 February 2020

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020)

This likely should go without saying but Sonic the Hedgehog is dumb, almost everything about it is pretty damn dumb. The plot is nonsensical. The moral of the story is cliched. The whole thing is cheese. But it survives basically on its never ending charm and the fact that Jim Carrey gives a classic Carrey tour de force... if you're into that sort of thing.

I know. I know. It's based on a video game. Honestly I don't think that's an excuse for how many times the film just does stupid things to advance the plot and wields deux ex machina plot devices. But whatever. I know that's not why people go to these films. But for me honestly I'm just not sure watching the admittedly improved animated version of Sonic run fast is enough to earn my $13.99. Yes Marsden and Sumpter and the voice of Schwartz are all super adorable but in this age where they can make an awfully clever Lego movie, there is no excuse for such inanity. The banter isn't that witty. The plot doesn't capitalize on the game's mechanics in a clever, analogous way. There isn't even a scene where Sonic collects rings as he runs along as super speed! I mean how hard would that have been.

But for Jim Carrey fans, the long time fans who miss his days as The Mask, Ace Ventura and such, the man is back. His Dr. Robotnik is classic Carrey. That's not my jam so I could care less. And perhaps if it was I would have been able to squeeze more enjoyment out of this. But I imagine for his old timey fans, this will be a treat.

And for fans of the game who for some reason want to see the character brought to life and put in a sappy friendship story (you know, the sort we've seen 1000 times before?) they'll enjoy it too. Cause really the film manages by being charming to not be terrible.

I guess that's as high a praise as I can give it.

Sonic the Hedgehog
Starring: Ben Schwartz, Jim Carrey, James Marsden, Tika Sumpter, Lee Majdoub, Natasha Rothwell, Neil McDonough
Director: Jeff Fowler
Writers: Pat Casey, Josh Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment