Sunday 14 June 2020

Artemis Fowl (2020)

I remember when I first saw the film adaptation of The Bourne Identity, my first reaction was, "this isn't the story from the book." They took the basic premise and completely made up a new story. I had some reservations at first but over time I came to see the film for what it was being very good despite having little to do with the book series. I know sometimes seeing a well loved book come to life on the screen exactly as you pictured it can be a remarkable experience. But sometimes that's not what we get. Sometimes we get similar ideas to tell a new story.

That's what's happened with the film version of Artemis Fowl. There are big changes, mostly in terms of simplifying and streamlining the story, but a lot of what makes Artemis Artemis is here. I know a lot of fans will reject it on that alone, and I understand that. But instead of letting myself get worked up over that I tried to enjoy Fowl for what it was, a rather fun if simple fantasy story.

Visually Artemis Fowl is a striking movie. The film makers have come up with a visual language for the movie that is unique and feels like Fowl. The fight scenes and set pieces are well done and the story is quick paced and easy to follow. I've heard people describe the film as a muddled but I don't think that's accurate. Everything about this adaptation of Artemis Fowl is accessible and entertaining. If anything that's where the film falters.

My main critique of this film is how little is here. They have simplified it down to its most base elements and in doing so perhaps have removed some of the magic which could have turned this into a new fantasy franchise. The film at 95 minutes is just too short, never taking the time to build the world that it lives in enough to make it feel engrossing. The plot is streamlined and slick but imagine if there were more cool subplots and intrigue that could hook us. Fowl always felt a little lean and light. It's more like the film adaptation of Percy Jackson than it is Harry Potter. And I think we've come to see it's best to err on the side of richness as fans eat that stuff up. We want to see the references to all the little pieces and put together the puzzle of the whole.

But those rejecting this outright aren't being fair either. What is here is a fun adventure story that is cohesive and engaging. Sure, this likely could have been a whole lot more, but what we got is entertaining. It did leave me wanting more and I worry we won't get a follow up to this series which feels like a missed opportunity.

Artemis Fowl
Starring: Ferdia Shaw, Lara McDonnell, Josh Gad, Tarama Smart, Nonso Anozie, Collin Farrell, Judi Dench, Nikeh Patel
Director: Kenneth Branagh
Writers: Conor McPherson, Hamish McColl

No comments:

Post a Comment