Monday 7 December 2020

The Godfather: Coda The Death of Michael Corleone (2020)

My first exposure to the Godfather saga was the unfairly maligned Part III. I was too young to make a point of seeing the first two chapters but when the third came out I was just old enough (and cinemaphile enough) to want to see this new chapter in the theatre. I was mesmerized by the operatic drama played out by this legendary cast. I was hooked and wanted to see more. I gobbled up the first two chapters (on VHS back then) and the entire thing for me ended up being one experience, one long film epic. So I have always defended Part III as a fitting conclusion to one of the best cinema sagas ever.

So when I heard a recut was coming I was both curious and trepidatious. Sure the film isn't perfect but I didn't think it needed reworking. Still, a chance to see if again on the big screen was one I didn't want to pass up. And in the end this version once again justifies my love of it, and the whole series. Still I was surprised that there were as few changes as there were. Essentially this is the same film, with minor tweeks here or there, ones that I felt had mixed results.

This version is leaner and more streamlined. It also holds your hand through it a bit more. There are voice overs explaining what's going on, and the plot is set up more plainly. The story just gets going and keeps going without some of the meandering the original cut does. It's a more straightforward film. Until it's slightly more ambiguous ending. Still the story is still there, the visuals are still there (cleaned up even) and everything that made me love it is still present. There are a few little "fixes" like trimming a few of Sofia's scenes so that her performance feels a bit tighter. I'm not sure how I feel about the ending, especially in light of the title of this cut, but I'm going to sit with it a bit and perhaps it will resonate for me a bit more.

I'm not a purist and I can enjoy different takes on films, especially good ones, ones that deliver such great pathos and drama. Michael's story is a great American tragedy, in both the classical and modern senses of that word. Coda gives us a clean telling of the story. For me I'll likely turn to the original cut more often as I rewatch this trilogy as I do every few years. But I might just pull this version out too from time to time.

The Godfather: Coda The Death of Michael Corleone
Starring: Al Pacino, Diane Keaton, Talia Shire, Sophia Coppola, Andy Garcia, Eli Wallach, Joe Mantegna, George Hamilton, Bridget Fonda, Franc D'Ambrosio
Director: Francis Ford Coppola
Writers: Mario Puzo, Francis Ford Coppola

 

No comments:

Post a Comment