Wednesday 3 February 2021

The Dig (2021)

Sometimes a movie just doesn't grab you. It can be shot well and can feature great performances and yet it still may not resonate. For me that was The Dig, a movie about, yes, digging. The Dig is headed up by Carey Mulligan playing an old soul beyond her years, and Ralph Fiennes subtly breathing life into his curmudgeonly loner. It is gorgeous most of the time, shot with the English sun lighting everything. And we watch them dig.

Yes I know there is more than that. The characters build relationships through their passion for their project and it is life changing for them. But I could just never muster the energy to care about... their dig. The Dig is a true story about the discovery of an important Anglo Saxon burial site and its treasures. But little about the people coming together to excavate is captivating. 

Not to say that everyone involved doesn't do great work here. These are great actors and they are all wonderful here. But no matter what they did, they never brought me into their passion. Perhaps those who love archeology might get more out of this, but I'm not sure that's the point. I wanted them to help me see what was driving them, to make me feel it. I never did.

The Dig just passed me by. I was never put off by it but never captivated either. Maybe it will have more connection for others but it just didn't work for me.

The Dig 
Starring: Carey Mulligan, Ralph Fiennes, Lily James, Ben Chaplin, Johnny Flynn, Ken Stott
Director: Simon Stone
Writer: Moira Buffini


No comments:

Post a Comment