Wednesday 24 March 2021

A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon (2020)

The first Shaun the Sheep movie was a surprise delight, madcap screwball comedy that had me laughing out loud throughout. Farmageddon is funny and about as charming as the first, but I just didn't find myself laughing quite as hard. Still it's great to see actual stop motion animation brought to life so vividly.

The Aardman folks still know what they are doing. After their very disappointing Early Man in 2018, this is a bit of return to form, creating a truly entertaining film, even if it doesn't quite capture the magic of the original. Still the story is tight and enjoyable and has that sort of tale that works for pretty much everyone. Little kids (and I mean little) could enjoy it for its fluffy visuals and slapstick, older kids can enjoy the wackiness. And adults can enjoy its just truly sweet and funny story. Honestly I didn't laugh as hard as I did for the previous film, but I still chuckled, quite a bit. 

And as a fan of animation, seeing real stop motion is a treat. With these guys and Laika still putting out good stuff, I have hope for the future. I would like to see them put out something a little more outstanding soon, but this reminded me of just what I enjoy in their work. 


A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon
Starring: Justin Fletcher, John Sparkes, Amalia Vitale
Directors: Richard Phelan, Will Becher
Writers: Mark Burton, Jon Brown
 

No comments:

Post a Comment