Saturday 3 April 2021

Bad Trip (2021)

Hidden camera comedy is not my cup of tea. It feels predatory to me, especially when the jokes are about making people feel unsafe. So much of Bad Trip was really uncomfortable watching the cast make the unsuspecting people around them think they were in danger, think others were in danger. This sort of thing doesn't make me laugh and I have a hard time understanding how it makes others laugh. 

There are some seriously funny people in this. Haddish and Howery are people who can make me laugh and laugh hard, and there are times in this film where they do that, when the humour isn't about terrifying people... or about Andre getting naked, something that happens a lot in this film. So for me Bad Trip oscillated between funny, laugh out loud moments, and painful cringey moments that were just so unpleasant. Watching a guy get raped by another guy in a gorilla suit, or watching a newly married couple make out with a priest at their wedding, or a suicide attempt. Sorry, not funny. 

The film manages to be funny occasionally; like I said these people are hilarious comedians and they are truly funny. I just wish I spent more time laughing and less time cringing. 

A bit of a post-script: who doesn't recognize Haddish in this day and age? How is she able to fool all these people into thinking she's an ex con? I had similar questions about the Borat sequel...

Bad Trip
Starring: Eric Andre, Lil Rel Howery, Tiffany Haddish, Michaela Conlin
Director: Kitao Sakurai
Writers: Dan Curry, Eric Andre, Kitao Sakurai
 

No comments:

Post a Comment