Wednesday 18 August 2021

Respect (2021)

I'm not a fan  of Jennifer Hudson as an actor. I think often people get her singing confused with her acting. She has one more, to open her eyes wide and stare. She doesn't emote any more than that. So I was concerned going into a movie about an artist I adore with her cast to carry the film. And through most of Respect she did that making the Queen of Soul rather soulless throughout. However she had a moment near the end where she actually pulled off a rock bottom desperation that feel authentic. Basically she didn't ruin the movie for me and that's a win. 

The film is strong otherwise. I mean the rest of the cast is a Godsend from Whitaker to Wayans to Blige to the incredible Tituss Burgess who is almost unrecognizable as the understated (I know, right?) and nurturing church choir director. Everyone around Hudson is strong (which ups her game) and when she sings she not only channels Aretha but brings her own magic to the songs. She makes us feel the magic that is listening to Franklin. 

I do have to say how remarkable I thought Burgess was. He is one of the standouts for me in this film. 

Director Tommy films this love letter with a heaping helping of nostalgia and patina that makes it all, even the hard bits, feel lovely. This is a tribute and might fudge some of the rough edges but still gets across the power and achievement of the artist at its centre. She isn't an angel but she is an incredible talent and we get to go along for the ride with a woman who defied all the odds. Respect, like some of the other musical biopics that have come recently, is a joyous film. 

I love the moments in these films where we get to be a fly on the wall in the historic moments when classic songs are written/recorded. Here it's I Never Loved a Man and the scene is just wonderfully enjoyable. Generally the entire film is, even with Hudson. 

Respect
Starring: Jennifer Hudson, Forest Whitaker, Marlon Wayans, Audra McDonald, Marc Maron, Tituss Burgess, Tate Donovan, Mary J Blige
Director: Liesl Tommy
Writer: Tracey Scott Wilson





 

No comments:

Post a Comment