Sunday 7 November 2021

The Electrical Life of Louis Wain (2021)

The Electrical Life of Louis Wain feels like it is attempting to be a Tim Burton movie, with a delightfully off weirdness and Claire Foy channelling Helena Bonham Carter. This story of an artist Wain who likely was misdiagnosed with schizophrenia during his lifetime, is charming as one of those misunderstood oddball narratives and Cumberbatch and Foy are both so talented they bring a delightful life to their characters. But in the end I'm not sure how memorable this little story will be. 

The script is delightfully clever with funny little bon mots throughout  Sharpe's direction is energetic and takes advantage of the beautiful art direction. He finds lovely little ways to bring out the emotion in his story visually. There is always something to watch during the film. And the two leads are both doing a wonderful job of bringing their respective eccentric characters to fully realized life. Everything about The Electrical Life should mean they hit it out of the park. But despite all of this I never felt myself getting truly invested in the story. 

For me the film never found the spark... dare I say electricity, needed to truly come alive. I enjoyed it and there was much about it I liked. But it didn't capture me in the way I would want to enjoy it again and again. 

The Electrical Life of Louis Wain
Starring: Benedict Cumberbatch, Claire Foy, Toby Jones, Olivia Coleman, Andrea Riseborough, Hayley Squires, Nick Cave, Taika Waititi, Richard Ayoade
Director: Will Sharpe
Writers: Simon Stephenson, Will Sharpe
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment