Tuesday 31 May 2022

Emergency (2022)

Sometimes when I'm watching a film it hits me that what I'm watching is something special, a film that will stick with me, that I'll watch again and again. Emergency is one of those films. Flying somewhat under the radar, Emergency is one of those little films that comes at you and leaves you breathless. 

Smart and funny, Emergency catches you off guard a bit. Presented as a familiar college comedy, it starts to show us early that there is more going on here. The script is tight, natural, and insightful. The performances are remarkable from a mostly unknown troupe. The direction is spot on, clever, creative. Emergency just delivers and ends up being both sharply entertaining and bitingly relevant. 

The story is just really good. Two black college students and their Latino room mate find an unconscious white girl and realize that calling for help could lead to them being arrested or worse. They are pulled in different directions regarding their own safety and hers. I know it doesn't sound funny but it is. And it is funny without ever being irreverent or silly. The humour comes from an honest and truly organic place. I kept worrying the film was going to need to come up with less genuine excuses to keep the action going but the script is so good and just playing off the tropes of the comedy genre in ways that kept is honest. 

And as it drives to its conclusion the power of the story truly comes into focus. Even the little post-script, which again I worried was going to go a little trite, did not disappoint. The film stays true to itself right to the end.
 
Donald Elise Watkins stands out amongst a talented cast breaking out as a potential star. He is stunning, especially at the end, his performance shook me. I want to see what this writer, this director, and this star do next cause after this I'd watch them do anything. 

Emergency
Starring: Donald Elise Watkins, RJ Cyler, Sebastian Chacon, Sabrina Carpenter, Maddie Nichols, Madison Thompson, Diego Abraham
Director: Carey Williams
Writer: KD Dávila
 

No comments:

Post a Comment