Monday 13 June 2022

Hustle (2022)

I don't like Adam Sandler as an actor or a comedian. I don't find him funny and I think his dramatic roles are overrated. But I will admit it, I thought he was great in Hustle. Hustle might have the plot of every other sports movie ever made but in the hands of emerging director Zagar it becomes completely engrossing. Hustle is better than it should be on all levels. 

As I mentioned, Hustle has a very stereotypical plot. You know exactly what's going to happen at every moment and every character is exactly who you think they are going to be. But the script is tight and hooks you in in a way that doesn't feel insulting or manipulative. This is propped up by how strong the performances are. Especially Sandler who does the best work I've ever seen him do. Yes I liked him in this better than in Uncut Gems

Zagar captures the sport well. The basketball scenes are exciting and despite knowing how each scene would end and what purpose each moment was serving the plot, I kept finding myself on the edge of my seat. I don't give a shit about basketball but I was hooked in each moment. And Zagar captures the human drama too. I found myself getting sucked into the ups and downs of the (admittedly predictable) plot just as much, invested in how it was going to go for Bo. When a film can make me feel that when the story is so telegraphed, well that deserves some praise. 

Hustle is smart and engaging and as I said, far better than it should be. 

Hustle
Starring: Adam Sandler, Juancho Hernangómez, Queen Latifah, Ben Foster, Kenny Smith, Anthony Edwards, Maria Botto, Heidi Gardner, Fat Joe, Jaleel White, Robert Duval
Director: Jeremiah Zagar
Writers: Taylor Materne, Will Fetters
 

No comments:

Post a Comment