Sunday 25 September 2022

Lou (2022)

Janney is incredibly compelling and believable as the kick ass loner trope who is usually played by an aged male action star. Her screen presence and acting chops sell this story despite the film being rather cliched and falling into a lot of the traps that these sorts of movies tend to be littered with. But Lou is a fresh take on an old saw and that in itself makes it more watchable than most films like this. But despite her performance the film is full of the predictable twists and turns you can often see coming a long way off. The cast is above this but they do make it more enjoyable than it would be otherwise. 

I'll give it credit for its ending. I kinda liked the climactic moment, was moved by it despite not buying into much of the story. Perhaps this too was a moment born out of Lou's difference from male driven films of this genre. The final second snapped me back but it also put a smile on my face. In the end I wasn't sad I watched it. I wished it had been something better but I still enjoyed it. 

Lou
Starring: Allison Janney, Jurnee Smollett, Logan Marshall-Green, Matt Craven
Director: Anna Foerster
Writers: Maggie Chon, Jack Stanley
 

No comments:

Post a Comment