Saturday 29 April 2023

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. (2023)

I read a lot of Blume as a child but Margaret wasn't one I focused on, likely because of my gender. While I was familiar with it, I barely remembered the plot. But as the film played out for me it started to come back and I was surprised at just how well it balanced the humour and pathos crafting a truly satisfying emotional experience. 

This is a classic for a reason and in this day and age of increased fervor for book banning a film like this is even more important. Stories of coming of age that actually deal with really coming of age are important. Especially in how this film sort of sidelines the boys in the lives of these characters to focus more on their own bodies and friendships. Margaret felt as relevant today as it must have when the book came out. 

Strong performances from the cast and a well crafted script that is genuinely funny and moving while also just being entertaining make Margaret a winner in my book. 

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.
Starring: Abby Ryder Forston, Rachel McAdams, Kathy Bates, Benny Safdie
Writer/Director: Kelly Freeman Craig
 

No comments:

Post a Comment