Wednesday 10 April 2024

Civil War (2024)

Writer/director Garland is known for his visionary and audacious film style. In 2024 he tackles something that feels like it could truly resonate for American audiences which may feel all too close to reality. In doing so he has crafted a tense and riveting thriller that explores human reaction to the horrors of conflict, especially conflict that is close to the daily lives of those involved. It is surprisingly effective and impactful, the sort of film that works both viscerally and intellectually. Civil War is a powerful look into the toll war brings. 

Civil War doesn't necessarily follow the path you think it is going to. Instead of exploring fictitious warring sides in a modern American civil war, the film focuses on war journalists chronicling the battles and their effects. The film eschews getting into the politics of the conflict. It's not that film. Instead its plot is about getting us deep into how war effects the people it touches, especially when it encroaches on their lives in their communities, the ways we can turn a blind eye, and what happens when we don't. It is about confronting war itself and what it does to people. 

So many war films are not set within the USA and so American audiences can keep a distance that removes them from the horror or war so head on. This story takes that safety value away forcing us to confront what we are seeing and potential for it in real life. That in itself is handled so deftly here that it is somewhat earth shattering for audiences used to  keeping themselves out of conflict. There are times it will feel like a gut punch, sometimes it will make you not know how to feel. 

I truly loved Dunst's performance. It is quiet and mostly subtle yet filled with pain, strength, and trauma. The entire cast is good, especially Moura in a bit of a scene stealing role, but it is Dunst's movie and she nails it. 

Throughout the film I was finding myself with the wind blown right out of me, audibly responding to moments I didn't expect, or even if I did, was quite impacted by. And then after I just kept thinking about it, ruminating on aspects of it. Civil War is the sort of rich film that will give you more to think about over subsequent rewatches. I have so many questions and speculations that I want to work through in my mind and in conversation. 

Garland can take big swings and be bold with his films to varying effectiveness but generally I find I like what he tries to do and here I certainly did. I sat a bit shell shocked as the credits began to roll and it will likely sit with me for a while. As it should. 

Civil War
Starring: Kirsten Dunst, Cailee Spaeny, Wagner Moura, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Nick Offerman, Sonoya Mizuno, Jesse Plemons
Writer/Director: Alex Garland 

No comments:

Post a Comment