Saturday 13 July 2024

Longlegs (2024)

Longlegs is the second horror film of 2024, deemed by the masses to be the next horror masterpiece, that didn't cut it for me. While I appreciated what Perkins did with style, the terrifying way he filmed Longlegs so that it would chill audiences, the story felt hollow and in the end left me just cold. Nothing about the story of Longlegs terrified me, nor even made me uncomfortable. Everything felt like it was the image of horror instead of actually being horrific.

Longlegs is filled with images that we commonly associate with horror stories; creepy dolls, devil worship, a serial killer basement, crime scenes shot forensically, evil nuns, deformed and insane appearing villain. All of it feels like it is trying too hard. 

The cast all act off the whole time, unlike how people really behave. Everyone from Underwood's agent and his family, who all talk like they are reading a script in the most mundane way, to Witt's damaged mother who appears to be trying to appear mentally ill. But its the central characters who took me the most out of the story. Monroe's spectrum coded hero is so socially awkward but is never reacted to as such that I felt like she didn't exist in the world around her. And Cage's maniac is so completely over the top his creepiness blurs into camp in a way that drains it of terror. 

So much of Longlegs doesn't feel real. Without a real world grounding he fear dissipates quickly.  The "evil plot" is convoluted and never quite comes together in a cohesive way, whether it's the agent's graphing of dates that feels like it could have been interpreted to mean almost anything, to the whole doll/possession magic which feels overly elaborate. Longlegs lacks a simplicity that would have given it a far more terrifying vibe. 

I will give credit to Perkins for his visuals. While I found his story and the way he directs his cast to be lacking, I did enjoy the atmosphere when it didn't feel forced. The problem is it often does with his heavy handed tropes. I really wanted to enjoy this film and went in expecting to see something terrifying. About half way through I found myself not being moved to much but disappointment. 

Longlegs
Starring: Maika Monroe, Nicholas Cage, Blair Underwood, Alicia Witt
Writer/Director: Osgood Perkins
 

No comments:

Post a Comment