Wednesday 28 August 2024

Strange Darling (2024)

It is hard to talk about Strange Darling without ruining it. Well perhaps "ruining" isn't correct. It's a stunning film even if you know the plot in advance. But it is certainly one of those films that you should see knowing as little as possible. So it's hard for me to talk about what makes it so great with anyone who hasn't seen it. I could talk about what a star Willa Fitzgerald is and how much she owns the screen during this movie. I could talk about how strong Kyle Gallner is opposite her. But even getting into why is talking about it.  

Of the things I can mention is how well the film uses its gimmicks in ways that are not gimmicky and in fact enhance the story telling. There is the effective use of what could have been gimmicky story structure. There is the stunt "casting" of Giovanni Ribisi as cinematographer (BTW Ribisi has a calling besides acting on display here). There is even the film's sensationalist story which could have easily felt too cliche, yet manages to feel wholly original. So much of Strange Darling could easily have not worked. Yet it does. 

Strange Darling is about expectations. It is about assumptions. It doesn't play with its audience in a Shyamalan way but is upfront about the fact that it is going to mess with you and does so honestly. I felt off kilter the entire time, never knowing if I could trust what was going on. The amazing performance of Fitzgerald and the script's deft construction keeps its audience off balance.

I have a but... and it's a big BUT. There is one thing that sort of ate at me while I was watching it which again is hard to discuss without spoiling it. I don't feel the film was trying to do this but I do feel a certain audience could see in this a justification for disbelieving victims of violence. The film I believe goes a long way to craft its characters in complicated and nuanced ways that avoid that message coming through yet it could still be read into the piece and that was somewhat uncomfortable, not in a good way. The film's desire to make us question what we are watching and who we can trust has a nihilistic vibe that took me out of it a bit. Just a bit. I perhaps would have loved to see the film deal with this more completely. 

Yet I still walked out of Strange Darling shaking with energy and discomfort (the good kind). Fitzgerald, Gallner, Ribisi and writer/director Mollner have put out something which will grab you by the neck and not let go. Snuffleupagus!

Strange Darling
Starring: Willa Fitzgerald, Kyle Gallner, Barbara Hershey, Ed Begley Jr.
Writer/Director: JT Mollner 


No comments:

Post a Comment