I was worried throughout I Come Home that the film would default into something common, that it would end up with its central family, a throuple, coming apart unable to overcome the messiness of relationships, reinforcing stereotypes of plural relationships. We are used to seeing "love triangle" be about conflict and, as the film maker has himself said, we aren't used to seeing it be a source of strength and love. I was comforted to see I Come Home not go down the well beaten path and instead offer us something differnt.
I Come Home is a love story. It is a love story between three people who face the complexities of relationships and life and family and the unexpected by each bringing their own unique strengths together to create something stronger. I Come Home doesn't shy away from how challenging love can be but also what it offers. And the film works so beautifully, filmed as if we are glimpsing into these people's lives and seeing just how they come together.
Cheesman is the strong centre of this film and she gives a powerful performance as a woman facing a lot of curveballs all at once. Her chemistry with her partners palyed by Gonzalez-Vio and Ali is palpable which makes the love at the centre of this story so embracing. You can truly feel it.
The ending comes in such a beautiful and powerful way and it surprised and delighted me. That is what I want from a love story and I Come Home really does gives us a glimpse into this home and this family in a way that is beautiful.
I Come Home
Starring: Hannah Cheesman, Carlos Gonzalez-Vio, Ryan Ali, Jordan Hayes, Sonja Smits
Starring: Hannah Cheesman, Carlos Gonzalez-Vio, Ryan Ali, Jordan Hayes, Sonja Smits
Director: Glen Wood
Writer: Andreas Vatiliotou

No comments:
Post a Comment