Sunday 15 December 2019

Jumanji The Next Level (2019)

Sometimes sequels take a story in a new direction, taking the characters and plot to the next level. Sometimes a sequel just regurgitates the same story over again and the characters end up in the same spot they were in in the first film. Despite the title of this Jumanji sequel, The Next Level is squarely in the latter category. Basically The Next Level is Welcome to the Jungle all over again, with Devito, Glover, and Awkwafina thrown in for shits and giggles.

However, despite the fact that most of the time sequels like this bore me to tears, or annoy the hell out of me, or both, this one basically had the same effect on me as the first. Despite the shallow predictable nature of the film I had a good time. I laughed, was on the edge of my seat, and left feeling good, even open to the idea of one more visit to Jumanji. I know, right?

Once again Jack Black is the standout. But both Johnson and Hart are fun doing their surprisingly good impressions of Devito and Glover (who are also both a lot of fun). Yes the story is still rather average and as I said, there is zero character development. But Jumanji remains fun if overly dispensable entertainment. If this is all Jumanji's going to be I can live with that. It doesn't cross the line into insultingly dumb so there is that.

Jumanji The Next Level
Starring: Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart, Jack Black, Karen Gillian, Awkwafina, Danny Devito, Danial Glover, Nick Jonas, Alex Wolf, Morgan Turner, Ser'darius Blaine, Madison Iseman
Director: Jake Kasdan
Writers: Jeff Pinkner, Scott Rosenberg, Jake Kasdan

No comments:

Post a Comment