Wednesday 18 December 2019

Star Wars Saga (1977-2019) REVISIT


I am the perfect age for Star Wars. I was a little kid when the first films came out and was captivated by them. I was in college when the prequels came out and my nostalgia translated to good will allowing me to enjoy more of what I had always loved. And now I am a father able to share the last chapter with my child and experience it all with fresh eyes. These are the first films I can remember watching repeatedly. These are the films that had the most influence in making me become a cinemaphile. While I recognize all their flaws, they speak to me and my generation in a way no other movie series ever has or will. In my rewatch leading up to the final chapter Episode IX I decided to speak about what I love about each film, not getting into any of their problems or weaknesses, just speaking to what makes me love them when I watch them.

Episode I The Phantom Menace
Before the prequels I could only imagine the extended galaxy that Star Wars existed in. Places like Coruscant only lived in my mind. Seeing these worlds come to life, seeing a culture where Jedi’s were real and a part of the fabric, seeing the universe was much bigger than the small pocket Luke Skywalker inhabited was revelatory for me. The pod race remains one of the best action sequences ever filmed. The three way lightsaber duel is exhilarating cinema.

But for me the real magic of the prequels, something begun here and carried through the next few films, is the astute portrait of how democracy can be undermined and actually die through the mechanizations of powerful people with selfish intent. Lucas’ prequel trilogy is almost Shakespearian in the way it sets up its tragedy and as a young adult coming in to my own understanding of how the world works, this allegory is powerful and frightening.

The Phantom Menace is told from the point of view of a child, or children. Anakin is hungry to satiate his ambition. Padme is brilliant yet too idealistic. Obi Wan is young and dedicated almost blindly. They will all fail in their ideals. The sense of hope soon to be dashed during the course of this story is delicious irony for me. I once believed the arc of history moved towards justice as did our plucky heroes. They are to learn a lesson that I needed to learn.

Episode II Attack of the Clones
For me watching Anakin and Padme fall in love isn’t a cringy misfire, it is purposefully horrific. There is no way they should be in love and everything about it is wrong. That’s the point. When Padme succumbs as they are being lead off to their execution (and I suspect Anakin might be using some of his Jedi power to make that happen, perhaps even subconsciously) it is a tragic moment, not a romantic one. Attack of the Clones is about failure, as each second in the trilogy is and it is filled with truly enjoyable moments. Yoda in a lightsaber duel is beyond what I could have expected. I smile each time I watch that scene. For me following Jango Fett’s arc is truly enjoyable as he is the strong villain Boba never got to be in the original trilogy. He is truly unlikable and vile while also being cool and formidable. And he stands up to the Jedi.

Episode III Revenge of the Sith
This is where we see democracy die, with thunderous applause. Lucas’ critique of how free cultures willingly abandon freedom is powerful and epic and it all comes to fruition here. From the moment of Anakin’s turning, Order 66, and scramble for survival, I am riveted each time I watch. Some of my favourite moments include Chewbacca helping Yoda escape,Yoda and Palpatine battling through the senate, Mace Windu’s death echoing Palpatine’s own later in the series, the reveal of the Death Star, Vader’s transition, and Luke and Leia brought to their future homes. Everything we have been waiting for and imaging for years culminates ringing in a dark age.

But in the end it was Obi Wan and Anakin’s final battle which resonates for me most powerfully. Seeing this moment makes their eventual reunion at the end of Episode IV so much more powerful than it had every been before. I end the prequel trilogy with an anticipation of a New Hope that is around the corner.

Episode IV A New Hope
This is one of the first films I ever saw. I’ve likely watched it more than any other film yet I never tire of it. It set the bar high for me in terms of what I expect from movies which now have to offer something special for them to resonate for me. From score to characterization to plotting to emotional impact. There is nothing I would change about this film.

I’m not talking about the side Star Wars stories in this article as I’m focusing just on the Skywalker saga, but there is nothing like watching this film in a double feature with Rogue One right before it. How that film leads into this one, and how it enriches this film makes this even stronger than it had been on it’s own. I highly recommend it.

Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
Rightly considered by most to be the best of the series, Empire is a miracle. The rare sequel to surpass its source material, it deepens and darkens all that has come before. It gives us even richer characterizations of the heroes we fell in love with in A New Hope. Han and Leia’s romantic banter, Luke’s learning of the Jedi ways, the introduction of Lando and Boba Fett, walkers, meteor showers, swamp creatures, "I know," the reveal of all reveals! I remember seeing this movie with my dad perched on the edge of my seat trying to take it all in. Even then as a small child I knew I was seeing something remarkable.

Now as an adult and as a film lover I understand just what an achievement this film is. Director Kershner pulled off a remarkable feat making a blockbuster which would go on to influence generations of film makers. There was never anything like this before and while much tries to emulate it nothing comes close.

Episode VI The Return of the Jedi
As I child I believed evil could be overcome by good people coming together and doing what is right, and so much of that is due to this movie. It was the first time I understood a villain could be a good person underneath, that standing up to injustice would defeat it. Return of the Jedi made me believe the corrupt could be brought down as in the fall of Jabba's court, that might didn't make right, as in the Ewoks bringing down the Empire. But my favourite moment is watching Luke and Vader’s final lightsaber battle with the operatic score and emotional resonance that inspires me each and every time.

For much of my life I imagined everyone living happily ever after. I now know that isn’t the case and that makes it mean even more for me than it did before. But there is a brief moment of relief and celebration and it is those moments that I have come to see are what we live for.

Episode VII The Force Awakens
I think when people criticize this film for being too much “like” previous films, or "recycling" them, I feel they are missing the entire point or this series. Star Wars is like a symphony, it has repeating themes and movements which build on each other and crescendo into glory. For me, seeing The Force Awakens for the first time was that powerful.  It was Star Wars. It confirmed how history returns to its struggles, that people don’t live up to who we want them to be, that we must never give up hope.

The film introduces us Ray, Finn, Kylo Ren, and Poe, some of the richest characters the franchise has ever seen. I love the way the film mixes their journeys with the characters from the past. We get a new Star Wars experience which is filled with the emotions and ideas of the originals. When Han finds his ship, steps aboard and says “we’re home” I felt it in a way that I don’t get to feel in many movies. His arc with Leia and Ben hits me in the gut every time. While the story of our new trinity is hilarious and fun it is also inspiring in the way Star Wars has always been at the same time. Rey is the culmination of all that we have been building towards here so far. She is the perfect centre for this final act.

Episode VIII The Last Jedi
For me The Last Jedi may be the only rival to The Empire Strikes Back for best of the series. Instead of following the same pattern, the film makers decided to take all the ideas we’re used to seeing in big action block busters and upend them. Like the second movie of each trilogy in the Star Wars series, The Last Jedi is about failure and redemption. It does so by pushing us, making us question what we think we know, and offering us something revelatory. It is subversive and revolutionary. It is in fact Star Wars. It takes the legacy character, who has all the right that we deem to be the hero, and makes him the villain, but not any villain, one who is both spoiled and small but wildly successful. He is everything we are taught to admire but we are shown that admiration is misplaced. Instead we are given a true hero, a no one, who is everything we are not supposed to want to be, and make her our hope and our centre. It takes our heroes and helps us see their failings, makes us thirst for something better. This is why the film is so upsetting for many, and why I think it is one of the most remarkable blockbusters of my lifetime.

This is a series that I will always love and will always be a part of my film DNA. Each episode offers me something special which I love and speaks to me, the child me, the adult me, the parent me. I will return to each of these films again and again and each time they will bring me joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment