Friday 21 January 2022

The Summit of the Gods (2021)

I struggle watching climbing movies. They both terrify me and anger me. Why people put themselves in that sort of danger is something I find hard to reconcile. So in a film, even fiction like this, my anger towards the characters sometimes outweighs the power of the story or the beauty of the film. But with The Summit of the Gods I found this story actually tackled some of my climbing issues head on and helped me to appreciate the characters and their journey more that I often do. 

The Summit of The Gods is about obsession. While the obsessive and self destructive desire to conquer a peak is part of this, it is here used quite effectively as a tools for examining other obsessions. Our main character is not the summiter but the one who is obsessed with finding out a truth about the past. This story is often about how the past cannot be truly understood. And there is something both beautiful and painful about that. 

In The Summit of the Gods we are presented with the humanness of people who make terrible choices and we are confronted with how to face that. It is a movie that asks us some unanswerable questions. We can sit them but the film doesn't make it easy. It doesn't answer them. 

The Summit of the Gods
Diretor: Patrick Imbert
Writers: Magali Pouzol, Jean-Charles Ostorero, Patrick Imbert
 

No comments:

Post a Comment