Saturday 1 January 2022

The Tragedy of Macbeth (2021)

There have been a lot of filmed versions of the Scottish Play from the infamous (he shall not be named) to the classic (I mean Orson Wells, come on) to a plethora of efforts (everyone from Fassbender to Connery to Worthington has taken a turn). But perhaps we have found a true champion. I'm going to bat for Joel Coen's theatrical and self-consciously "cinema" take. Not only it is a stunning piece of work that is breathtaking, but Washington and McDormand show everyone just how it is done. 

For me I'm either all in or all out for the the Coens' films. This is the first I'm aware of that is just Joel by himself and I am truly all in. He makes no bones about what he is doing This isn't naturalistic. It feels like a Bergman film more than anything we've seen from Joel and his brother in the past. Yes it is in black & white but it's also filmed on sound stages for a heightened sense of reality. We are watching a production. 

Coen has stripped down the text and he does so in a way that grabs the story and rides it like a rodeo cowboy. We get everything we could want from this story. It is rich, dripping with emotions and passions. It is bold. While I often prefer subtly (probably a reason the Coens don't always work for me) here I was swept up in the play, and the performances. 

Washington is stunning here. He is naturalistic yet also has overwhelming stage presence, balancing both truths perfectly. I've always admired him as one of his generations best actors but it is nice to be reminded of just how good he can be. He has proven he's deft with Shakespeare's text in his more subtle roll in Much Ado About Nothing (1993) but here he shows not only can he master the language but wring from it all the juice and marrow. McDormand proves why she has more Oscars than you can shake a stick at by taking on one of the most played rolls of the stage and making it her own as well. The elder statesman energy they both bring to these parts is a fascinating take on the characters. And yes Kathryn Hunter is a scene stealer terrifying me with her performance and wowing us with her presence. I found few weak links in this cast. Each adapting to the film's aesthetic well and making a wonderful ensemble. 

There are intricacies in other versions I've seen that I appreciate but that isn't what this film is about. This film is bombastic and alive. It is vivid and gripping. It is just a force of nature. And I couldn't get enough of it. 

The Tragedy of Macbeth
Starring: Denzel Washington, Francis McDormand, Corey Hawkins, Alex Hassell, Bertie Carvel, Kathryn Hunter, Brendan Gleeson, Harry Melling, Moses Ingram
Director: Joel Coen
Writer: William Shakespeare, Joel Coen
 

No comments:

Post a Comment