Monday 13 March 2023

Luther: The Fallen Sun (2023)

I was uninitiated going into The Fallen Sun, never having watched the Luther series. I had heard a few things but I'm not sure I was prepared for just how over the top it really is. I had to adjust from what I thought I was going to watch, fairly intense prestige crime drama, and embrace the camp, almost exploitative nature of this in your face, realism need not apply, style of storytelling. Once I did I could get into it and enjoy this talented cast have fun with a nasty yet rather cathartic tale about moral ambiguity. 

The film makers know how to tell an intense story. While I had to suspend a lot of disbelief as most of the set pieces would take a remarkable amount of coordination, coincidence, and luck, they are amazingly gripping while they are happening. The Piccadilly Circus scene in the middle will have you on the edge of your seat.

Serkis is perfect as the (almost super) villain in this piece. He has the perfect mix to be able to pull this off without coming off too silly and remaining rather terrifying. It would be hard to imagine much of this working without him. 

I think fans of the series will be happy with this film and those still coming in fresh like me can enjoy it if you let yourself get into it and not get bogged down with it's moral inconsistencies and narrative extravagancies. 

Luther: The Fallen Sun
Starring: Idris Elba, Cinthya Erivo, Andy Serkis, Dermot Crowly
Director: Jamie Payne
Writer: Neil Cross

No comments:

Post a Comment