Thursday 9 March 2023

Scream VI (2023)

For me, none of the Scream sequels have lived up to the first, not in that nostalgic wasn't-it-so-great way but in a very obvious diminishing returns way. All have found interesting ways to comment on the horror genre (specifically the slasher variety) and add to the conversation, especially as movie franchises evolve, but none have been able to craft so perfectly a loving critique of all things slasher that is also an entertaining and frightening movie on its own. None have the power of truly upending our expectations like the first one did. Each feels like its repeating itself a bit and stretching to make a coherent story while also trying to play bait and switch. And most of the endings feel anticlimactic, with the killers always feeling a bit like a deus ex machina insert at the end. 

It's hard to talk about what I liked and disliked without spoiling it a bit so be warned from here on. I'll try not to spoil too much. 

What I didn't love: Scream VI doesn't have the guts to kill anyone important and it continues the trope of the killers being connected to the last ones but only revealing how in the end. As it unfurled I kind of rolled my eyes thinking "not again". The film makers also seem to think that you can do a whole lot of acrobatics and mixed martial arts while bleeding out after being stabbed in the stomach. One character appears to be slit from her stomach up to her chest, yet not only survives, but is able to run around after? Yes, yes, I know, the movie is a comment on slasher tropes like that but they don't comment on it, they just do it, which I find rather disappointing. 

What I did like: the new setting is completely refreshing as one thing that bored me about the previous sequels was the slavish devotion to the Woodsboro location. I also enjoyed the cast and their banter. They gelled more than they did in the previous film. The script is witty even if I felt the plot lacked originality or cleverness. I found the stalkings effective and fairly scary and I did like how they got back to killing off a rather unrelated character played by a recognizable star in the first moments. Then did it again right away. 

So for me Scream VI felt on par with Scream (V) and Scream 4... you get my drift. Maybe one day they'll find a way to truly surprise us again. But while Scream VI was passable and fun enough to enjoy, it wasn't at all surprising. 

Scream VI
Starring: Melissa Berrera, Jenna Ortega, Jasmin Savoy Brown, Jack Champion, Mason Gooding, Samara Weaving, Hayden Panettiere, Courtney Cox
Directors: Matt Bettinelli-Opin, Tyler Gillett
Writers: James Vanderbilt, Guy Busick
 

No comments:

Post a Comment