Thursday 1 February 2024

Argylle (2024)

Vaughn is known for his ostentatious action movies from Kick Ass to the Kingsman series. Argylle is right up that alley with a story designed to be one twist after another. It's absurd, packed to the brim with over the top action and silly jokes, and generally is a lot of fun even if it is rather light and fluffy in the end. Yes perhaps there is little substance here, and yes perhaps the twists (which I won't spoil) aren't that shocking. But overall Argylle is a fun time. 

I'm going to give a lot of the credit for how much fun I had to Sam Rockwell who brings his adorable gruffness to his rather central character and brings a smile to each scene. The whole cast appear to be having a fun time but for me it was Rockwell who delivered and got me invested. 

Argylle is a lot of wink wink and perhaps borders on Austin Powers a little more closely than I expected. But it never drags. I'm not sure I'm up for a series of Argylle films. The myth building is mostly relegated to this one story despite how hard the mid-credit scene and some chatter on the promotional circuit are trying to build it into something more. In many ways I felt Argylle was very self contained and I wonder if the schtick could get stale quickly. But who knows. Perhaps the folks behind this have a lot of other ideas up their sleeves they are saving for future instalments. 

Regardless, I had fun at Argylle and would recommend it for a light and breezy watch. 

Argylle
Starring: Bryce Dallas Howard, Sam Rockwell, Henry Cavill, Bryan Cranston, Catherine O'Hara, Dua Lipa, Ariana DeBose, John Cena, Samuel L Jackson, Sofia Boutella, Richard E Grant
Director: Matthew Vaughn
Writer: Jason Fuchs 

No comments:

Post a Comment