Sunday 30 June 2024

Daddio (2024)

Daddio didn't really work for me. I loved the premise and I can be a sucker for this sort of story, characters trapped in a certain space and forced to interact for a real-time-ish duration. But as the film sped on I felt less and less engaged in where it was going. It was like the more the characters revealed themselves the less I was interested. 

Daddio is about the conversations between a cab driver and his fare, a woman returning home after being away. Hall's characters start out interesting and someone mysterious. But as they open up to each other they become more and more cliched and far less interesting than I imagined them. There "reveal" things about themselves and each other but I found the revelations rather blandly predictable. They became boring people. 

As Daddio reaches its conclusion there is supposed to be an emotional payoff that just falls rather flat. In fact some of it feels a bit desperate. Both Johnson and Penn do good jobs with their thinly written characters but there isn't enough to either of them to be that watchable. And the gimmick, of them being in this cab for an hour and a half, just becomes more tedious than revelatory. 

Daddio
Starring: Dakota Johnson, Sean Penn
Writer/Director: Christy Hall
 

No comments:

Post a Comment