Tuesday 4 June 2024

In a Violent Nature (2024)

Slasher is low on my list of preferred horror genres. I understand why people are drawn to them on an intellectual basis but experientially I tend to get little out of them. However there can be examples that I find interesting, especially when a film maker plays with the sub-genre in a way that is interesting. For me a lot of In a Violent Nature was interesting, from Nash's desire to mix Terrance Malick style narrative with the classic tropes of slasher films, to his exploration of the lasting effects of trauma. Some of the film's almost cartoony violence was less impressive than I'd hoped although I did like how he themed his killer's strikes around each victim specifically. But for me the film was made in its last ten minutes. 

In a Violent Nature is almost an experiment in taking all the cliches and tropes of the most typical of typical slasher films and finding a new way to film them. There is a special place in the oeuvre of Canadian cinema and this film picks up on that while also attempting to tell this story in a new way. Mostly that worked for me as an intellectual exercise, with incredibly beautiful cinematography and restrained long shots that don't drag out the point too much. Nash creates a chilling tension that works because he follows his killer. I actually found this quite effective in building tension as instead of the typical waiting for the killer to pop out we are waiting for his reaction to the victims he stalks. The film is quite beautiful to watch even as you're waiting for the next attack. 

I actually found the violence the least satisfying. While it was gruesome it was almost cartoony. I liked how the kills are crafted to say something about each victim, but generally this sort of violence isn't interesting to me. The characters are purposefully uninteresting and sketched thinly. Even the performances leave something to be desired and I believe this is on purpose. What is interesting is the fear, the lead up to it. Which is why the ending was so powerful for me. The next paragraph spoils a bit so skip it if you haven't seen the film.

In a Violent Nature has set us up to expect the killer. It's aping of the genre sets us up to expect the killer. We are used to one last "hurrah" as the once believed monster to jump out and take one last bloody stab (pun intended) at our final girl. But Nature doesn't do that. Nash teases us with tight shots that leave us to believe we aren't seeing him hiding just out of sight. It plays the game that these sorts of films do. But instead of delivering that last catharsis it just leaves us hanging... wondering... unable to settle. Like the final girl staring off into the woods we imagine seeing things. Did we see something? Is there nothing there at all? We are left unable to resolve our fears or tension. The film actually shows us that the killer's bloodlust is satiated, that he has reached his goal, that this chapter is over. But we can't let it go. Just like our heroine. 

In a Violent Nature may have some things to say about able-bodied privilege and how we other some folks but I'd have to ruminate on that more to say something intelligent on that. I do think the film is commenting on that trope of the genre as well but I'm not exactly sure how. Still what In a Violent Nature leaves me with is a lingering unease and a questioning of what these sorts of film can offer. 

In a Violent Nature
Writer/Director: Chris Nash
 

No comments:

Post a Comment