Sunday 1 January 2017

Favourite Films of 2016 (#1 - #10)

In a year when I saw 151 films, a year which produced so many that I truly enjoyed (see my previous list), these were the 10 that moved me the most. I cheered, I cried, I fell in love, I was brought back to the feeling I had when my parents took me to the movies for the first time and I was transported. 2016 reminded me why I love films, and these 10 films were my favorite cinematic experiences of the past 12 months. 


#1 Moonlight
Moonlight is the single most beautiful piece of film I have seen all year. Luscious and devastating, it took my breath away. My pulse races when I see it, no matter how many times. I never get tired of watching it. There isn’t a moment I want to look away. I fall in love. Old wounds are opened. Emotions are aroused. Moonlight is the kind of film which reminds me why I love movies.When they can do this to me, they are perfection.
 
#2 I Am Not Your Negro
The earth shattering words of my favorite writer James Baldwin. The stunning visual esthetic of Raoul Peck. The powerful voice of Samuel L. Jackson. All of it comes together as a defiant triumph in the face of racist America and a stunning piece of art on every level.
 
#3 Midnight Special
This quiet little film takes us on an incredible, fantastic adventure. It may be a "science fiction film" but any parent in the real world of a child who is unique will relate to this story, these emotions, the fear, the drive. It will break your heart. Michael Shannon’s multilayered performance is breathtaking and a high point in an already stellar career.

#4 When Marnie Was There
This is a reminder of how beautiful hand drawn animation can be in an age when all the "cartoons" are CGI. The gorgeous art is even more so when it is used to tell such a lovely story about two young women, both outsiders, and their magical connection. When Marnie Was There is a bittersweet, gorgeous relationship transcending time, across barriers, and beyond imagination.

#5 Hell or High Water
Thoughtful, remorseful, philosophical, and passionate, this backwater crime film captures a dying world lashing out in the only tragic way it can. Director David Mackenzie finds the beauty in a wasteland, both a real place and a metaphorical state. Jeff Bridges, Chris Pine, and Ben Foster are all at the top of their game in his meditative crime movie/modern western which is a must see.

#6 Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice
This unfairly maligned opus is one of the richest cinematic experiences of the year, visually, emotionally, intellectually.  It is especially profuse in its exploration of complex themes such as the false dichotomy of good/evil, the struggle with violence and fascism, genderd responses to crises, and even the nature of God itself. A truly fascinating and rewatchable epic, despite how trendy it is to dismiss it. And damn if it doesn't make you want to see more Batman, more Wonder Woman, more Flash, more Superman!

#7 La La Land
This is a movie as gloriously jazzy as the music running through it. It is a love story that riffs off classic musicals but invents something completely new. It is almost anti-Hollywood while simultaneously paying tribute to movies and the industry which produces them. Beautifully filmed, scored, and performed, La La Land is lovely, melodious melancholy.
 
#8 Kubo and the Two Strings
A reminder of how beautiful puppet stop motion animation can be, especially when used to tell this non-linear hero’s quest. The artists at Laika have yet to disappoint, or repeat themselves. Here’s hoping they don’t fall into the sequel trap that Pixar has succumbed to and continue to make these original animated films.

#9 Loving
Writer/director Jeff Nichols’ second film on my list (the first is Midnight Special), is this very intimate, delicate portrait of love overcoming everything, literally. Nichols doesn’t get bogged down in courtroom drama or political spectacle. Instead he zeros in on the power of a relationship between two real people which actually changed a nation. Ruth Negga is especially perfect as one of America’s unsung heroes. 

#10 Rogue One
Because hope is something we need more than we have in a long time, Rogue One a Star Wars Story came along at just the right time. It is both a companion film which makes its inspiration even richer, and a spin off which takes the familiar concept in a new direction. This engaging adventure reminds us of the magic of movies. It stars a diverse cast which points us in the direction of films of the future. Rogue One is undeniably movie magic. 

 As I said, I saw many more films I loved in 2016. This is just the cream of the crop. See my further list for the rest. When there are so many to choose from you really should see as many of them as you can.  









No comments:

Post a Comment