Saturday 14 January 2017

Monster Trucks (2017)

I know, I know. A film called Monster Trucks, a film about 
a monster driving a truck, I shouldn't expect a good film. Perhaps I could expect a film that isn't written so badly the story doesn't make logical sense. Perhaps I could expect a film with dialogue which isn't groan and wince inducing. Perhaps I could expect a film where the acting isn't so phoned in and ridiculous that you can barely stand to watch it.

perhaps... but I probably shouldn't

Monster Trucks is as bad as it sounds. Everything you would expect about what a cheese-fest it could be is true. So instead of me critising that let's talk about the few redeeming qualities of this pile of stinking you-know-what.

The titular monster, named "Creech," is super cute. There is a certain amount of pleasure to be had just from watching him pull himself around the movie. Stupidly, he is hidden for most of the film inside a super rednecky truck, but when he is on screen he's adorable, and so are his fellow family of monsters.

And remarkably the film has a great environmentalist message which lead me and my son to have a great discussion after about our responsibility for stewardship for land, resources, and wildlife. The film is very literal about it and hit you over the head with it, but at least it's a positive message that kids will get and take away something from this if the quality of the film doesn't turn them off movies all together.

And then there's...

wait...

I'm trying to come up with something else positive about Monster Trucks but I am coming up blank. It's really a bad movie but like anything there are a few almost redeeming features.

But still it's pretty much worth skipping all together so that we don't get a Monster Trucks 2 or something horrible like that in the future.

Monster Trucks
Starring: Lucas Till, Jane Levy, Thomas Lennon, Barry Pepper, Amy Ryan, Rob Lowe
Director: Chris Wedge
Writer: Derek Connolly

No comments:

Post a Comment