Friday 20 January 2017

Split (2017)

Split isn't going to be for everyone. It is challenging on a number of levels. But it is one of the most cleverly satisfying horror films I've seen in a long time centered around what is certainly going to be one of the best performances of 2017.

I am not an M. Night Shyamalan fan. While one of his films, Unbreakable, is one of my favorite films ever, I struggle with most of his work generally liking the idea behind the film more than the execution of that film. His most recent before Split, The Visit, was a trend in the right direction but still wasn't something that excited me. It appears that lightning has struck twice for me with me finally loving one of films again after so long.

First I have to praise the fact that the film does not play it's idea as a gimmick like his films so often do. The idea of a central character living with Dissociative Identity Disorder is not new (ever heard of Psycho?) but the idea of exploring it as a true condition instead of a dangerous liability is new. I found Shyamalan and McAvoy treated the subject with not only the utmost respect but with understanding and insight. Yes the character's DID does lead to his role as "villain" but the film goes to great lengths to not only have you understand the "heroes" but also the so called villain. Similar to the characterization in Unbreakable, Shyamalan seems interested in who these people are and why they do what they do. In Split, we explore why different identities within McAvoy's character do what they do.

And, like Psycho, this is a straight up horror film. Shyamalan knows how to shoot a great horror movie and he does so here with perfection. It is a homage to the genre and doesn't reach to transcend it. He embraces the horror movies esthetic and shows us exactly how it is done. The one trope he explodes a bit is the one about people in horror movies making stupid choices. He plays with that a bit and shows at least two of our heroines reject that idea by acting smart and heroic. He takes us to some pretty dark places (which I believe is part of the respectful way he treats his subject) and that makes it all the scarier.

But if that's not challenging enough for most audiences, what will be challenging for others is his use of the fantastic. While Split could have been told based entirely in realism, he adds supernatural elements which may turn off a certain audience. It pushed my boundaries a bit as I hoped he would keep within realistic parameters, but having been pushed, I came to understand what he was doing by adding the mythical and tying it to his real world story. 

Watch to the very end for a clear goal of where he was going with this story. As the final frames played out my jaw hung open with excitement. There is something truly exciting going on. It's not a typical M. Night Shyamalan twist ending. It's a very logical conclusion to all that he has been building. And it made me want to see more.

McAvoy is to be praised. I find he often gives incredible performances but this one is one of the most impressive I have seen. His authenticity and respect for his character brings forward a truly realized human being even when the fantastic elements creep in. Without him Split would likely not have worked so well. Also great is Anya Taylor-Joy, so good in last year's The Witch, in another complicated role which is an essential piece of the film.

Split surprised me, impressed me, moved me, terrified me. Mostly it made me very excited and I hope I'll get to return to this world again.

Split
Starring: James McAvoy, Betty Buckley, Anya Taylor-Joy
Writer/Director: M. Night Shyamalan

No comments:

Post a Comment